Skip to main content

Day 13


So it was good bye to Green Bay and I had an early flight out of the airport travelling to Boston with a brief transfer in Detroit.


Being on the first plane of the day I had to wait for security to open up so I spent some time staring at a lawnmower. Other than a little overpriced cafe, there wasn't much else to do.


The transfer at Detroit was boring too, except for an incredible light installation between two of the terminals. It's a bit of marketing for Phillips I think who proudly proclaim that none of the bulbs have been changed since the installation started in 2001. 

Both internal flights went without a hitch and I was soon in Boston.

The airport has a free silver line coach service that got me straight to my hotel. Perfect!

I was staying in a Yotel which I guess is a hip place to stay. Accommodation in Boston isn't cheap and it's also the dearest place for Air BnB. I have no idea why, so I had to put some extra money aside to cover this place but for what I got it was pretty reasonable.

Each room is more like a cabin with a sofa that lowers at the push of a button into a bed.

Compact but with some good facilities. I liked being able to blue tooth sync my phone to the sound system in the room. 


I chose to spend my first afternoon just going for a wander around the city to get familiar with where things were. I had 3 days here so plenty of time to get around everything.


The band were playing music from Mario video games.


The main city park looked to be invaded by an army of yoga enthusiasts.


A quite nice carousel.

Make Way for Ducks is a lovely little piece of art in the park. It's based on a book and the ducks are called Mrs Mallad, Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack and Quack (it's alphabetical sequence if you've not spotted it). 

A squirrel checking me out.

Another film location. 

Good Will Hunting this time.


For Dinner I went to the Cheers bar, which was the location of the popular 80s TV show.

The interiors aren't the same as the show now though.

Cheers indeed!




In the park I also spotted a rare white squirrel. It's not albino but a genuine freaky squirrel. It's quite the celebrity now. So rare but common may be a more apt description.

A nice piece of art by Brazilian duo Os Gemeos.


Another nice mural.

In researching the city I found the biggest collection of murals were found under one of the city's expressway. 






This was probably my favourite.





A nice selection of pieces.

A Boston sunset.


Chinatown, which is the oldest Chinatown in the US. Given that Boston was one of the first city's this is not a surprise.

The south station.

Another interesting mural.

This is the Boston Tea Party Museum which is located on one of the city bridges.

Comments