Skip to main content

Day 14

Day 2 and more sightseeing. I was liking Boston as it wasn't too big and it had a history and culture, something that a lot of other US cities lack. 


The city aquarium





Located by Christopher Columbus Waterfront park I found another cool carousel. The peregrine falcon was really nice.


There's a chap called Paul Revere who is very famous in the city of Boston. This is his house located in the middle of the North End area of Boston. It's a museum now, but the whole city is a museum to this chap.



Copp's Hill Burial ground is the resting place of over 1500 people from the 1850s.

This is a statue of Bobby Orr, a Boston Bruin hockey player who dived liked this after scoring the winning goal in the 1970 Stanley Cup competition.

The city's north station



Above the station is the Boston Garden home to both the Boston Bruins and the Boston Celtics basketball team. The centre was having an open day today giving me an opportunity and what felt like a hundred kids to get onto the floor.


Elsewhere in the centre there's a museum around one floor with lots of mementos of years gone by. There's also an official merch shop which was extremely expensive.



One of the oldest places in the city.


A rather brutalist looking building.


This area felt like Covent Garden.

Inside the building is a long food court.

Well, it's better than a floating Yoda.


The upside down looking building is the Government Office.

That's the Old State House was an old colony government house. It's now a museum and the oldest public building in the US.



A few actors giving tourists a photo opportunity. I hope the pay makes the dressing up worthwhile.

This is a rather nice statue commemorating a famine, so not as nice.



An old tea house is now a Starbucks.

The Government building from another angle. I quite like this building.

In the afternoon I needed to leave the downtown area and ride the metro out of the city.


Located beside the Suffolk Down race course was Luzia, a travelling Cirque show and a holiday wouldn't be a holiday without a Cirque du Soleil show in it. It was part of the reason for leaving the boys as we didn't have one on the route.


The show is Mexican themed and has some unique effects with a rain curtain providing an interesting twist to a couple of acts that I'd seen in other shows and a tread mill opening clearly inspired by De La Garda. It's also the first show where I've seen a performer get hurt. During a russian swing routine one of the guys missed his landing crashing hard into the mats back first. He was able to make it through the rest of the act but was noticeably absent from the encore.


An interesting array of neon lights. Part of the city's art installations.


I ended my day with a trip to the cinema over the road from the hotel. They had a weird food ordering system where I chose what I wanted on a screen, which would print out a receipt. That receipt was taken by one member of staff and handed to a second who then handed me the food I'd ordered. I'm not sure why I couldn't be served directly.

After the film (Ant Man and The Wasp btw) I grabbed a quick bite from Shake Shack. Tasty!

Comments